Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Istanbul

I was enamored with Istanbul. All I had ever heard was how fabulous it was, this ancient city, capital of multiple empires, and I was so excited to be there. I was only there a week, but I missed it when I left. As my friend said, "its the type of place that you miss".

It's a hard to describe place, and I don't even know how 
to explain why I liked it so much.
So, as my generation does, I googled some quotes to see if other people know how to describe this city.

Some quotes:

If the earth was a single state, Istanbul would be its capital. 
Napoleon Bonaparte

  • Istanbul, a universal beauty where poet and archeologist, diplomat and merchant, princess and sailor, northerner and westerner screams with same admiration. The whole world thinks that this city is the most beautiful place on earth.
    Edmondo De Amicis
  • Holy Istanbul! Your name is the most enchanting one of all names which enchants me.
    Pierre Loti

Of course, these could all be entirely made up, since I just found them on this man's blog . Sorry that I won't be fact checking for this blog post, I have crafts to make for the letter R for my pre-school class...

But they are well said, these hopefully real quotes, the name Istanbul IS an enchanting one. I arrived in a snow storm, and Istanbul to me will always be strong, hot tea, cold winds, and the sounds of the call to prayer. Also, creepy Santa robots, because I was there over Christmas. 


But enough of my hopeless word-smithing - some photos!

A mosque at night 

The Blue Mosque in the snow

Ceiling of the Blue Mosque

This cat was unsure about letting us shop in his store.

I was obsessed with these beautiful lamps in the Grand Bazaar. 

Fishermen were out in force, even in the cold!

We went to an island of 102 cats. 

Sunset ferry ride on the Bosphorus 

Some sunshine!

Blue Mosque

Grand Bazaar

Hagia Sophia

He danced and sang!

1 comment:

  1. As I have told you many times, in all my travels, Istanbul will always be my favorite city. Like you said, it is difficult to describe, but there is something unique about the culture and character of Istanbul.

    On the complete opposite spectrum, I will remember Istanbul as a sunny city with hooka smoke and incense in my nostrils and a lamb kebab in my belly. Love that city. SO glad you got to experience it! Maybe someday we can return there together.

    ReplyDelete