Monday, May 16, 2011

Bugs.

I just got back from teaching English in Villa El Salvador,
after an hour and a half micro ride.
The take turns rule doesn't seem to apply here when traffic lights stop working....



I sat down to get started on homework and placed in the center of the dining room table are the bugs my host mom was given. They are for eating and have health benefits, I am told.

Now, I know a lot of people have the wrong idea of Peru as only a mountain range full of Incan pueblos where eating bugs is the norm, but that is not the case.
In Lima, you can eat some of the best food in the world.
Or Pizza Hut, KFC, McDonalds and Dunkin Donuts if you so desire.

This is me looking askance at the little buggies.

I am an adventurous eater and have consumed guinea pig, alpaca, homemade chicha (corn beer) from the street, and all manner of foods here. I love Peruvian food. Also, after living in the woods for two months and regularly waking up to spiders on my face, bugs do not frighten me. But for some reason, this is putting me off my cafecita.

No comments:

Post a Comment